|"He definitely sees things in a different way. He thinks differently. And I think a lot can be learned by other photographers. They’re all at the same event but nobody else saw the same thing.” – James Colton, Photo Editor Sports Illustrated from PDN Cover Article 2007.|
“Donald is great at any challenge set before him. He is a true visionary and problem solver. I’ve had the pleasure of working with him on several occasions and the outcome has always been stellar. He’s an absolute Team Player and linchpin on any project.” – Jason Murphy, Art Director Nike.
With more than 50 international awards to his credit including six World Press Awards, Donald Miralle has been recognized as one of the most innovative photographers in the industry for the past two decades. Born and raised in Southern California, Donald graduated from Loyola H.S. and University of California, Los Angeles with a B.A. in Fine Arts. His artistic approach to his editorial and commercial photography and has been sought after by some of the largest agencies, publications, and brands to shoot the world’s greatest athletes and biggest events. Miralle’s work has been profiled in publications including Photo District News, British Journal of Photography, The Holland Times, The San Diego Union Tribune, and Top Magazine in Brazil, as well as on TV shows like ESPN, Entertainment TV, and the Today Show. Donald has served as a keynote speaker at many international events including the PDN PhotoPlus Expo, Great White North Workshop, UAPP, Danish Photographers Union Convention, and is active in the education of photojournalism at colleges and workshops including Brooks College, Art Center Design, BYU, Sportsshooter Academies, Pacific Ridge School and the 2.8 Dueeotto/Donald Miralle Sports Photography Workshop in Italy. In addition, he has served as a jury member for the Best of Photojournalism, Swedish Pictures of the Year, and the Wisconsin and Utah Press Photographers Associations. Donald is also the founder and owner of Leucadia Photoworks, the only full service studio and photographer collective in North County San Diego. His wife Lauren and their two sons Luke and Micah make their home in the beach community of Leucadia, California and enjoy surfing, paddling and drinking fine wine in their spare time.
- World Press Photo Contest, Amsterdam The Netherlands 2005, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2014
- Pictures of the Year International 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
- NPPA Best of Photojournalism Contest 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016
- NFL Hall of Fame Photo Contest - 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008
- The PGB Photo Award, Stockholm Sweden 2010.
- PDN Photo Annual, NYC 2012
- PDN "The Shot", NYC 2013
- CLIO Gold Award 2015 for his marketing campaign with the Washington Nationals Baseball Club
- International Photography Awards, Multiple Award Winner 2009
- Graphis Photo Annual, Gold Award 2009
- PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris, Multiple Award Winner 2009
- Sasakawa World Sports Photography Contest 2002
- Mobius Awards, Ad Campaign for the NFLPA in 2008
- National Headliner Award, Sports Illustrated 2000
- California Press Photographers Association 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- Sportsshooter Photographer of the Year 2004, 2005
SHOWS AND WORKSHOPS
- WHO SHOT SPORTS EXHIBIT AND BOOK, Brooklyn Museum, Olympic Museum, and 6 other museums.
- Wide Angle View Exhibit, Orange County Center for Contemporary Art, 2011
- World Press Photo Traveling Exhibition, 100 events in 100 cities, 1999-2013
- POYi The Annenberg Space for Photography, Los Angeles 2011-2013
- Behind the Lens (Arnold Newman, Brent Stirton & Donald Miralle) New York 2005.
- Arets Bild, Sweden 2007 & 2008
- Union of Danish Photojournalist Conference, Keynote Speaker, Coppenhagen DEN 2011.
- 50th Anniversary National Convention of the University Photographers Association of America (UPAA) Keynote Speaker, Salt Lake City UT 2011
- PDN PhotoPlus Expo, Keynote Speaker, New York 2006.
- Great White North Workshop, Keynote Speaker, Vancouver Canada 2006.
- Brooks College, Guest Speaker, Ventura 2006-2009
- Art Center of Design, Guest Speaker, Pasadena 2007
- Minnesota Press Photographer Association, Guest Speaker, Minneapolis Central Library 2007
- Sportsshooter Academies, Instructor, Los Angeles 2005-2007
- 2.8 Dueeotto/Donald Miralle Sports Photography Workshop, Italy 2013
- WHO SHOT SPORTS, Gail Buckland 2016.
- The Art of Donald Miralle, 2.8 Dueeotto, Italy 2012
- American Photography 26, USA 2012
- The Fall, Lance Armstrong, with Juliet Macur. Italy 2013
- Faces, Outside USA 2005
- A Day in the World, Sweden 2012
- Hotshots, Sports Illustrated USA 2004
- The GM, with Tom Callahan (New York Times Bestselling Author) USA 2006
- Cover-Up, with John Feinstein (New York Times Bestselling Author) USA 2005
- The PGB Book 2010, Stockholm Sweden 2010
- World Press Photo Book, Amsterdam 1999-2013